Pages

Friday 1 May 2015

Things Your Mother Didnt Tell You About Pregnancy

You've probably dreamed about pregnancy and being a Mom since you were young. You've probably sat and poured over old time family albums while your Mom explained what it was like for her to be pregnant with you. She may have hinted at the morning sickness and how tired she may have been. Then you fall pregant yourself and realise there are a whole host of details she failed to mention to you.

Let us look at some examples:

1.  You will be an emotional wreck. 

She have briefly mentioned that your emotions may fluctuate here and there but what she didnt mention is that some may flirt with the borders of crazy. I'm not talking about mixed emotions of "I cant believe I'm going to be a Mom", to, "How the hell am I going to keep a little human being alive, I can barely keep myself together" I'm talking about emotions such as:

Michelle:  Okay, I better get ready for work, I'm going to be late. Speak to you later
Shawn:  Okay Bye
Michelle:  Wow okay. Bye Then
Shawn:  What now
Michelle:  Nothing. Talk later. Maybe tomorrow again when you have 5 minutes for me


Shawn:  oooookaaaaay.

2.  Being pregnant is hard work 

While Nana is excited at the prospect of little grandchildren feet running around, she probably didnt mention that growing a baby is hard work. Hard work! It takes an energy you never knew existed to barely keep yourself standing let alone you plus one. However....

3.  Pregnancy can turn you into a raging sex-bot!

There's probably a pretty good reason she didnt mention this one, I mean, how many people want to think about, well you know.....nevermind. Some woman apparently experience an increased sex drive during pregnancy, probably because of the increased blood flow to the sexual organs and hormones etc, increasing sensitivity etc... All you Moms out there, you know what I mean. Yes yes, dont even bother to pretend... how did that bebe get there in the first place?

4.  You might snore

Actually you probably will snore. You'll probably want to activate point 3 before you fall asleep. Just saying.

5.  You might get leg cramps.

Your legs and feet will also swell. Everything below your neck will swell making you look like you are the only human being on this planet that has no joints. Your feet may not fit into your shoes at some point and all your personal grooming will probably go to pot, making your body look like Vietnam circa 1970: the jungle is overgrown, explosions resound in thee darkness and people on the homefront are staging protests and fleeing halfway across the world.




6.  Pregnancy can be very overwhelming

This one is a real doozy. Your mother may have skipped over this one as well, and for good reason too. Being pregnant is very daunting. It is very scary to sit and think about the future, whether or not you will be a good mother, whether or not you will know why your baby is crying etc. People will come with their unsolicited advice and you will want to cut them. Pregnancy will also activate every weird dream you may ever experience. I have had some cuh-razy dreams lately, like my teeth falling out and bumping into old high school friends in a government hospital who were using it as a canteen. I also dreamt that my baby was breathing and sleeping but it wouldnt wake up. Ever.

7.  You will lose friends. 

You will. It will also be more difficult to talk to friends/people who do not have children.
People who don't have children don't want to know about other peoples children. Fact.

8.  You WILL appreciate your Mother

She doesnt ever tell you this one because she secretly hopes you figure this one out for yourself and you do. Very early on. My mother and I have managed to create a bond that I could never explain to anyone else. Pregnancy can be a very lonely time at times and she is the one person you can count on ALWAYS.

9.  The bond isnt always instant

I struggled to find an attachment to this baby for the first 3 months. It started to grow a very small amount after the 12 week scan and I could actually see this little human being. Then last night I felt my baby move for the very first time. The bond was sealed from that very moment. I feeling I will remember forever. Lots of little bubbles. UH-MAY-ZING!


No comments:

Post a Comment