Pages

Wednesday 29 April 2015

[Series] | Moms Budget Buys - OOTD On A Budget

I've decided to start doing a series of my cheap finds. Since I'm going to be a Mom now, I really need to relook my finances to make room for things like nappies etc. (I bought the first of my stash this weekend. It felt very weird to be putting nappies in the trolley - very weird indeed)

Since fashion and lifestyle arent really my blogging forte', I don't actually know where to begin, but begin we must, so.....

Some days pregnancy can really leave you feeing less than desirable. To be fair though, the second trimester is definitely a far cry from the first and less effort is required to look "normal".

I don't want to sound like I am exaggerating, but the first trimester was rough. It really was. I was throwing up all day, every day. I was falling asleep at work and crying one cue was becoming the norm. (I once cried because someone on Jacaranda FM won VIP One Direction tickets to their concert back in March). 

So, anyway, to try and combat the new hobo look I was sporting I decided to start experimenting more with make-up by introducing eyeshadows to my already tight time constraints in the mornings. 

(Side Note: I am certainly not getting up 5 minutes earlier to make time for eyeshadow. I'm not that much of a girly girl. I'm actually just lazy)

(Side Side Note: Although I am a girly girl, I'm not a girly girl. So I have to give credit where credit is due, My friend Elrese from Dressed In The City is a girly girl. You guys, this chick has nailed it, and I'm not ashamed to admit that I get most of my ideas and make-up tips from reading her blog - I also get a lot of my ideas from Daisy Person too) - go check them out!

I spent the past long weekend with my parents and my Mom and I went shopping for a few items to accommodate my expanding waistline. 

I uuuuuummmed and aaaaahhhhed about whether or not I should take the leopard print top back as "pattern" has never really been my thing and although I was keen for something different I was less than 50% certain I would end up feeling comfortable in such a wild (haha - proof reading this post. Laughs at own joke) choice. Then yesterday I popped into Clicks and spotted the new Hello Autumn range from Essence. I fell in love with the eyeshadow palette 01 Walk In The Park and immediately in my minds eye paired it with the leopard print top waiting at home. 

I thought why not. At R69.99. It's not a bad price and I do have another pinky nude palette from Essence at home that my mother blessed me with and I never really had any real problems with it. 

Now I hate finding negative things and then blabbing it all over the internet. I really would prefer to just zip it and keep my opinion to myself, but I've always been transparent and in the effort to remain constant I will say.... the fall out from this was horrific. It looked like I had a massive shiner on my right cheekbone. I swopped the brush I was using for the sponge applicators (which I don't normally like using) because well... I had already started and I wasnt going to wash my face and start again. Remember early morning time constraints. The sponge applicators worked much better and there was a noticeable difference with less fall out. The colour is quite pigmented, when I used the sponge applicators. With the brush, not so much.

To complete this look, I used the Smashbox Photo Finish primer (not pictured), Catrice All Matt Plus in 030 Warm Beige, Almay Eyeliner in black and MAC mascara in black, followed with a little bronzer on my cheeks,

My eyebrows need to be tamed again, they are growing like wild fire - I'm guessing that's got something to do with hormones though. #judgenot




I wear a lot of tights these days as it is definitely more comfortable around the stomach area and they really are great as an Autumn wear seeing as though I can wear them with pumps on the warmer days and dress them up with boots on the colder ones.

These (which you cant actually see) I bought as a twin pack from Pick n Pay. One black and one dark grey. I think both pairs were R99. A real steal for a Mommy purse.

The leopard print - Mr. Price (maternity section)- R89.99

Long black jersey - Chinese shop (Irene Mall, Centurion) R140

I finished the outfit off with a few black and gold accessories and a black handbag.

Long gone are the days where pregnant woman wear frumpy tent dresses and look like pregnancy is possibly the worst thing under the sun and it is absolutely possible to still look good on a baby budget.

What do you think?







             All my love



3 comments:

  1. Tummy is looking super cute! Thanks for the mention Michelle you made my day!!! And thank you for the review. As I was sitting here reading about the paletteI started thinking hmmm I should definitely go get one! And then I read the rest. I think I should rather get one of those All about palettes of theirs. Great post!

    www.daisyperson.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so stunning friendie! Thank you sooo much for the mention xoxo -- You are so sweet & I really appreciate it! So glad you find inspiration from my beauty buys, at least i have an excuse & feel slightly better for all the shopping trips haha ;P <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah wow you look fabulous! Just love the baby bump.
    What a good idea to do a series like this, looking forward to it! I love buying things on recommendation from others.
    *giggle* @ your "wild" pun!
    xx

    ReplyDelete